Becca's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: book-club, faith
Read from January 28 to March 26, 2012

I loved this book. It is not a quick pound-it-down energy-drink means to happiness, though. Her rich poetic style is like a fine wine meant to be sipped and savored. Voskamp begins by baring the flaying of her soul in the death of her younger sister. Here one wounded soul instinctively recognizes another. Her transparency gives validity to everything that follows.
"That that which tears open our souls, those holes that splatter our sight, may actually become the thin, open places to see through the mess of this place to the heart-aching beauty beyond. To Him. To the God whom we endlessly crave."

The rest is Voskamp's day-by-day journey to healing, a journey to joy that begins with a choice to give thanks. Peace, hope and faith all follow as Voskamp discovers the limitless love of the ultimate Gift-Giver. This is a healing balm for the wounded soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Ruff With all we have had going on, I haven't gotten into it yet. I tried reading the first chapter when visiting Jerry and Cora's house. I will admit I had a hard time getting into it. I am going to try again though since it seems to be a good read. :)