Joanne's Reviews > The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet

The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel by Jill Conner Browne

Jun 01, 08

Read in June, 2008

There are the Red Hat Society ladies and there are the Sweet Potato Queens. Which group is more like you? Edging towards the age requirement for the RHS, a high school soriety sister said we should really consider becoming SPQs (mainly because the green and pink colors are better!), but after reading this book I see so many similarities between this original group and my friends that I want to be a SPQ! This was an enjoyable read starting in 1968 - 1989 and was just really funny. The SPQ motto of "If it ain't fun, we ain't doin' it" and the changes over the years that happen and still keep this group together was so true to real friends. Deep down they aren't royalty, but just simple 'girls' from Jackson, Mississippi with hopes, dreams and life coming their way. Long reign the Queens!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel.