Kathy's Reviews > Forgiven

Forgiven by Janet Fox

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: books_that_made_me_cry, romance, historical-fiction, young-adult, favorites
Read from January 28 to 31, 2012

Forgiven is about a girl from Montana, her name is Kula (love that name), she is Maggie's half sister (Maggie from Fatithful), and she is a spitfire and a treasure. Set in San Francisco 1906 at a time when the local government is corrupt, the Chinese population is important to the community and are severely oppressed. Also the earthquake and fires played a major role in the end.

She goes to San Francisco to find a box for her dad, he's been thrown in jail for a murder he didn't commit. Only when she gets there a man named Wilkie is out to hurt her and stop her from saving her dad. Kula meets a man named David Wong, his sweet and kind manner brings down the walls of defence she's erected, because of his race she sees that he can't give her what she is looking for in a husband. She is hoping to meet a man with station and wealth so that she doesn't have to live in service anymore. When all is said and done she is stronger and more fierce than ever.

The reason I didn't give Forgiven 5 stars is because it's a tragedy, but it still found it's way to my favorites shelf. This story is very bittersweet so have tissues on hand when reading this, and the only thing I like bittersweet is my chocolate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgiven.

01/31/2012 page 288