Mike's Reviews > The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl

The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl by Tim Pratt

Aug 27, 08

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, urban-fantasy, thriller, favorites
Recommended for: everyone
Read in August, 2008

This is amazing. Really amazing. I was born in Santa Cruz and have visted some friends that went to college out there and so I'm fairly familiar with the town and Pratt does a good job of making the town seem like it's filled with both normal and crazy people, but that's just to be expected. Which is true. It IS Santa Cruz after all.
This book is seriously one of the best books I've read in the past two years. It's exciting and has crazy stuff going on next to normal stuff and there's the "Magical Realism" thing going on, but with disbelief from the main characters which is good to see since that means that there's more room for growth for them.
It's simply amazing, seriously. Really well written and it gives characters believability in situations which are completely impossible.
I have to say that it really is a great novel. It's one of the best I've ever read. It's fantasy, but also realistic. It's a drama that's also funny. There's the on-going love story, but there's an undertone of sadness. It's amazingly well written and is another in a long line of books that are essentially about the power of story and the proper place for "story" and "art" in our lives.
Everyone should read this. Everyone. It's almost too good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl.