Laural's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Nov 11, 11

Read in November, 2011

This one was really between 3 and 4 stars, like a 3.75, so I rounded up. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone I know (because of pretty excessive use of the f-word and pretty explicit [for my taste] sex scenes) but I enjoyed it. I felt myself mostly engaged while reading, though my mind wandered and eyes skimmed over some of the superfluous language about scene descriptions or paper making. I realize these long passages are probably meant to make me feel like I'm waiting for something to happen, much like Clare, but lucky for me I don't have to wait. I can breeze by the adjectives intended for ambience and get to dialogue. Least favorite part was probably the Gomez character. Didn't really feel like he was super developed and once the big reveal was, well, revealed, I felt like they could have given him more to do. It almost felt like he was implied to have a bigger part earlier in the book and it never panned out, like edited scenes of a movie. At any rate, I polished this off in just a few days and that's always a good sign of a good read.
Likeflag