the golden witch.'s Reviews > Dark Kiss

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, arc-galley, net-galley, demonica, angelic-pretty, ebook, magical-reality, teenage-shennanigans, dnf, reviewed, for-review
Read from March 22 to June 14, 2012

Short review is short, because I just didn't have the patience for this one.

I just couldn't finish this one - I got about sixty pages in before I gave up. I liked the idea of this plot as given to us by the blurb, but unfortunately, I found that the writing was pretty disappointing in all other areas. Our MC didn't really feel like a real girl, but she did feel like a teenage stereotype. Oh, my parents are getting divorced! It sucks, I need attention, so I'm going to shoplift! That didn't work, they're still not noticing me. So I'll make out with my crush that they don't approve of. It was pretty painful to read as Rowen tried to make this stereotype into a character, and it just didn't work.

While the world was a bit stable, it still didn't quite feel 3D. The characters in general, aside from the MC, also felt like PNR stereotypes that have come to be - the bad boy, the demon, the angel, and so forth. It just didn't click, and I wish that Rowen had made it a bit more original. The plot line of the greys was interesting and I honestly wanted more on that than anything else.

There wasn't much showing at all - there was a whole lot of telling, though, and that's something I can't abide - especially for experienced authors (guys, you should know better by now!). I feel like had this another draft or two, it might have flowed a bit better, had the messy areas cleaned up a bit more, and generally would have made some kind of impact on me (I felt no emotional connection to our MC at all, and that's kind of a problem).

I wish I could say this one was amazing, and that I had fun with it. But I didn't. However, this is just me - it might be better for younger YA readers as an introduction into the PNR sub-genre. But ultimately, "Dark Kiss" just failed to deliver for me.

(posted to goodreads, shelfari, and birthofanewwitch.wordpress.com)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Kiss.

Mimi Valentine I'm so sorry this wasn't a book for you! :( It WAS pretty standard for a paranormal romance book, so I understand everything that you mentioned. Still, thanks for the awesome, gracious, honest, and helpful review, Usagi! :) <3