Mel's Reviews > Coyote's Creed

Coyote's Creed by Vaughn R. Demont

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: e-book, m-m
Read from November 11 to 20, 2011

For those of you who are looking for a quick contemporary m/m romance: skip this.
Yes, the main character is attracted to men, but there's very little romance and Coyote's Creed is definitely urban fantasy. The plot and world building take the forefront.

And what a wonderfully original world it is: Fae and shifters, gods and sorcerers, feuds and fate and most importantly: tricks.
Spencer Crane is an 18 year old card swindler who's trying to divide his time between his cards, catatonic mother and detention. News about the death of his no good father turns his world upside down and suddenly it's like he's the star in his own horror movie.

I LOVED Spencer. Loved his dry tone narrative, his wit, his humor. Adored his hornines and his fear for zombies. Was touched by his love for his mother and his ability to grow. Spencer was a wonderful protagonist.
Besides him the story was filled with interesting secondaries with a certain toe stubbing Coyote as my favorite.

The plot was engaging and the world was certainly intriguing but at some parts I was thoroughly confused. And not only because Spencer is left in the dark, but also because it was just too much, too fast that too little of it made sense (I still don't get the importance of a Phouka king (view spoiler)). A few less "huh?"-moments and this book would have gotten a 5 star rating.

All in all: this story was an engaging and, most of all, fun read. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coyote's Creed.

11/11/2011 page 1
11/13/2011
27.0% "Still, until you’re certain you’re blown, government rules apply: Deny, deny, deny. LOL! This is a fun read. I'm loving it more with every page :)"
11/18/2011
72.0% "A father/son challenge...Battle of the Blonde Jokes. Hilarious! :)" 5 comments

message 1: by Ravyn (new) - added it

Ravyn Hmmm...I've been debating about this one. Seems to be on lots of my friends' "to read" lists, but no one that I know has actually read it yet! Also, I read in one of the reviews that there is a BIG age gap between the "romantic" couple, and typically that's not something I go for.

Any thoughts on that?

message 2: by Mel (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Well there is a big age gap. The protag is 18 while he sees his love interest as in his early 50s. Of course, since said love interest is a supernatural, his actual age is much older.
It could have bothered me but I realized it doesn't for two reasons. First: the age gap is always present in books with couples with a different -let's say- genetic background. Like weres and vampires being hundreds of years older than their love interest. Still nobody seems to ever see that as a problem.
More importantly though: it's the relationship dynamic which makes me not have an issue with the age gap. The roles are pretty much equal. No, actually: the main character had the upper hand. So there is not a case of the older, more experienced, powerful, influential counterpart.

I like the book a lot. It's very different from your regular mm reads. Mainly because this is a UF book. Very much fun.

message 3: by Ravyn (new) - added it

Ravyn Ok, thanks for the info! Sounds like I may need to give it a try after all...and I do love the UF

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh let me know how you like it :)

Lauraadriana I really need to finish this :0(

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel You need to. You can't miss out on the Battle of the Blonde Jokes!

Lauraadriana Mel wrote: "You need to. You can't miss out on the Battle of the Blonde Jokes!"

I will :0) Promise!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mel, I started this today and came bang up against this wall: (view spoiler)

Did you have any issues with it? I'm really struggling. I like everything else, but gah.

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel No I didn't. I had a WTF moment in the beginning, but the whole relationship dynamic doesn't it make it feel wrong or unequal in any way. If anything: it's Spencer who's calling the shots. (Check message 2 on this page for more elaboration).
Really: read on!

Beth is also on Leafmarks Just found your review. I am loving it so far but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with HUH? moments. I've just gotten to Spencer coming home to find his brothers and father sitting with his catatonic mother.

I do agree with your age gap explanation. Though this is the first I remember of an MC still in high school, I'm used to paranormal age gaps.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh enjoy the book, Beth!
And did you know there's a sequel too? I haven't read it yet but I'm curious!