Fiona McCandless's Reviews > Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

1202987
Jun 01, 08

Read in January, 2008

I very much liked this book. I first watched the movie, and loved it so much I bought the DVD. When I found out it was based on a novel, I was quick to buy that too. The imagery in this book is beautiful. I had just returned home from asia before I read Chinese Seamstress, and had to literally put the book down for a few moments while I reminisced over the beauty of the rice fields and weather-battered people and houses that I came across in Malaysia. This book is so vivid, the scenes took my breath away.

The lovely coming-of-age feel this book has, mixed with the theme of the Chinese Revolution, and the above-mentioned scenery all intermix beautifully. The one aspect I thought the novel fell short on was the ending. It felt a little too rushed, although I suppose it couldn't have been stretched out much more.

Despite this one flimsy point, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is definitely a recommended light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgit (new)

Morgit Azza If you were in the paddies waiting for the helicopters and the US bombs.. where your daddies taxes were. going.. lost a brother..