Greg's Reviews > Lost December

Nov 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-and-humor
Read from November 09 to 11, 2011 , read count: 1

For years I have looked forward to reading Richard Paul Evans’ latest novel. Unfortunately, this one was a little disappointing. It was oversaturated in melancholy for most of the book, and though it had a positive ending, it almost seemed like an afterthought rather than a satisfying, meaty, tying-up-loose-ends way to finish the book. This one tied up the loose ends in just a couple of pages, much like movies where there is a scrolling “here’s what happened to the characters” sort of way. I didn’t much care for it…I wish he had been written earlier parts a little more tightly, leaving him page space to write a more satisfying ending to the novel.

Nonetheless, I always look forward to the “journal” entries of his main characters for the pithy thoughts they have to offer, and this one did not disappoint in that respect. However, I want to focus my final comments on two in-text quotes.

1. At one point, Luke says “it’s one thing to be careless with money; it’s much worse to be careless with someone’s heart.” The older (and hopefully wiser) I become, the more I agree with this thought. As I business professor, I suppose I should be more hard-nosed than I am, but I find myself agreeing with the few who not only say, but act as if, their employees and co-workers are at least as important as their customers, shareholders, market share, and financial strength. Some companies, such as TD Industries, understand this principle of servant leadership quite well, and have been tremendously successful because of it.

2. At the end, Luke says “If it hadn’t been for the darkness, I never would have known the light.” Now this one I disagree with, at least as stated. I am convinced that one need not know darkness, or at least the darkness of disobedience and transgression, to know the light. We will always have opposition in our lives so that we can value the light, but it need not come through personal failings.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost December.