Denise's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Nov 11, 2011

Read in November, 2011

I don't think it's possible for me to love Kate Atkinson books more than I do. I want to go to Edinburgh and hang out with her (and when I said this on Twitter, some inn owner in that lovely,gloomy city said I should stop on by; they have a shelf full of Atkinson books in their cottage!). Anyway, this is Atkinson's fourth Jackson Brodie mystery, and I read this book as I was also watching the PBS Masterpiece Mystery series, Case Histories,in which a very watchable Jason Isaacs brings Brodie to life. TV hasn't done this latest, and good thing so far because I think I need to read it again first, and really digest the way Atkinson deftly draws characters and layers on their history and weaves stories from past and present together. All these books, as well as her first novel (not a Brodie mystery) are at their heart about lost little girls. If you like mysteries that have as their central feature not the mystery but the people, their motivations, their histories -- you have to read these books. She's also hilariously funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.

02/08/2016 marked as: read