Aerykah's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

5920961
Nov 11, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own, re-reads, e-book, 2016, library-challenge-2016, audiobook, singles-challenge-2016
read count: 5

Five Stars, all the way!!
I have read this book several times- this last time I listened to the audiobook- and I thoroughly enjoy it every time! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Aerykah Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I am not deceitful: if I were, I should say I loved you; but I declare I do not love you: I dislike you the worst of anybody in the world.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”

Charlotte Brontë
“I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at the first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, great and strong! He made me love him without looking at me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I am not an angel,' I asserted; 'and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me - for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I must, then, repeat continually that we are forever sundered - and yet, while I breathe and think, I must love him.'

- Jane Eyre”

“Reader, I married him.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Jane, my little darling (so I will call you, for so you are), you don't know what you are talking about; you misjudge me again: it is not because she is mad I hate her. If you were mad, do you think I should hate you?"

"I do indeed, sir."

"Then you are mistaken, and you know nothing about me, and nothing about the sort of love of which I am capable. Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear. Your mind is my treasure, and if it were broken, it would be my treasure still: if you raved, my arms should confine you, and not a strait waistcoat--your grasp, even in fury, would have a charm for me: if you flew at me as wildly as that woman did this morning, I should receive you in an embrace, at least as fond as it would be restrictive. I should not shrink from you with disgust as I did from her: in your quiet moments you should have no watcher and no nurse but me; and I could hang over you with untiring tenderness, though you gave me no smile in return; and never weary of gazing into your eyes, though they had no longer a ray of recognition for me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.”

Charlotte Brontë
“We know that God is everywhere; but certainly we feel His presence most when His works are on the grandest scale spread before us; and it is in the unclouded night-sky, where His worlds wheel their silent course, that we read clearest His infinitude, His omnipotence, His omnipresence.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.”

Charlotte Brontë
“No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"

"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.

"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"

"A pit full of fire."

"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"

"No, sir."

"What must you do to avoid it?"

I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I have for the first time found what I can truly love–I have found you. You are my sympathy–my better self–my good angel–I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I have now been married ten years. I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest - blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband's life as fully as he is mine. No woman was ever nearer to her mate than I am: ever more absolutely bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. I know no weariness of my Edward's society: he knows none of mine, any more than we each do the pulsation of the heart that beats in our separate bosoms; consequently, we are ever together. To be together is for us to be at once free as in solitude, as gay as in company. We talk, I believe, all day long: to talk to each other is but more animated and an audible thinking. All my confidence is bestowed on him, all his confidence is devoted to me; we are precisely suited in character - perfect concord is the result.”
tags: love

Charlotte Brontë
“All my heart is yours, sir: it belongs to you; and with you it would remain, were fate to exile the rest of me from your presence forever.”

Charlotte Brontë
“It is a long way to Ireland, Janet, and I am sorry to send my little friend on such weary travels: but if I can't do better, how is it to be helped? Are you anything akin to me, do you think, Jane?"

I could risk no sort of answer by this time: my heart was still.

"Because, he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land some broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, - you'd forget me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

07/08/2016 marked as: read
07/08/2016 marked as: currently-reading
07/08/2016
60.0% "Listening to the audiobook this time & really enjoying it!
---Thank you, Beth, for telling me about that narrator!---

But I'm just curious to know... For those who have seen Emma 1996, does this narrator's voice remind you at all of Mrs. Elton?

"
07/30/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Beth You're welcome! I think it's the same lady. :) This actresses name is Juliet Stevenson, probably not a coincidence. I actually haven't seen that version of Emma, although I really want to, and I've always meant to watch it.

message 2: by Aerykah (last edited Jul 11, 2016 08:15AM) (new) - added it

Aerykah Beth wrote: "You're welcome! I think it's the same lady. :) This actresses name is Juliet Stevenson, probably not a coincidence. I actually haven't seen that version of Emma, although I really want to, and I've..."

Ha! You're right-- it is her! ;D
I meant to look it up and find out, but got busy & forgot to. Makes sense why it sounds so much like her, then, doesn't it? haha! ;P
Though I know some people don't, I really like that adaptation. I hope you enjoy it when you do get to watch it. :)