Dara Jackson's Reviews > The Leftovers: A Novel

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Nov 11, 2011

it was ok
read count: 1

First off I won this on a First Reads Giveaway as an Advanced Reader's issue. I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded interesting: a Rapture-like occurrence and how the people left behind cope. I've never read anything of Mr. Perrotta's before, and chances are good that I will not be reading anything else of his if they are all like this one. Actually two stars may be generous, but I liked the concept, just not the book.

It was not what I was expecting, which in itself is not a bad thing. With the exception of a very few bright moments, I found it singularly depressing. Granted, this type of event would leave survivors awash in pain and suffering, for a time. Eventually people being what they are, some will be able to overcome and find some measure of joy in life. Except for the very end, which was dissatisfying, there was nothing but hopelessness. Despair, even.

I was compelled to finish the book (I always finish even if it's horrible) but it left a bad taste in my mouth afterwards. Thankfully, I don't suffer from depression, but this book seriously put me in a gloomy frame of mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leftovers.

Christine Noel I agree work your review wholeheartedly. However, please consider reading Little Children. It is one of the best books I've ever read - I only wish I'd stopped there and not gone on to read The Leftovers.

Wren You expressed my opinion perfectly! I loved the concept, but had to force myself to keep going half way through the book. I probably shouldn't gave bothered, but curiosity and some fleeting hope got the better of me. A major disappointment.

message 3: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I agree with you. But you should try Little Children, it really is good, as is the Abstinence Teacher. I don't think Perrotta should have tried for science fiction.