Kathy's Reviews > Darker Still

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

Nov 11, 2011

bookshelves: demons, ghosts, historical-fiction, magic, young-adult-fantasy, supernatural, young-adult-romance
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Darker Still was an awesome read, very spooky and eerie, romantic and enchanting. Kind of reminded me of The Mortal Instruments by Cassie Claire with references to a "society" and also of The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson or Nevermore by Kelly Creagh because is was really dark and chilly story.

Loved the charcters, Natalie is mute from a trauma as a child...she saw he mother be killed...but despite her handicap she is strong willed and tenacious, Lord Denbury is dashing and valiant but at the same time he left me wary because some of his actions made him look like he was up to no good and finally Mrs. Northe is a kind and motherly woman helping Natalie whenever she can.

I liked the story line a lot, centered around Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, where a portrait of Lord Denbury seems to be haunted and Natalie is drawn to it/him. With Mrs. Northe's help she needs solve the mystery behind the painting and rumor of Denbury's supposed suicide and is put in danger herself. What I really liked about the story was that at the end there are no lose ends, all of my questions were answered except for one, What did the demon mean by a "society"? But I guess I'll find out in The Twisted Tragedy of Natalie Stewart, Nov 2012 isn't too far away thank God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Still.

07/18/2012 page 317