Aaron's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

May 31, 08

it was ok
Recommended to Aaron by: salon.com
Recommended for: Those wanting to learn to become more effectively self-referential
Read in May, 2008

It's hard not to blame David Sedaris for Sloane Crosley. I mean to use "blame" lightly - I don't think Sloane Crosley is a thing anyone should necessary be sorry for, but by popularizing the whole "my family is weird in a way that is eccentric but essentially without serious conflict" genre of self-data mining, he's opened the door for people like Crosley to tell very similar stories about their OWN harmless strangeness.

I suppose this is essentially livejournal lit - as a blog, Crosley would be pretty great. She's funny, occasionally hits the lucky longball, and doesn't take herself so seriously that the whole affair starts to feel (more than occasionally) like a bloodless exercise in self-promotion or a neurotic call for attention.

As a book getting national attention, it's much harder to parse why out of all the perfectly viable memoirs on mild neurosis floating around in cyberspace, this would be the one to be chosen for national attention. Easy to read, funny in patches, not at all special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

Tracy O You hit the nail on the head.