Becket Morgan's Reviews > Creatura

Nov 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fiction
Read in November, 2011

When seventeen year old Isis Martin decides to confront the frightening creature in her nightmares, she starts herself on an unparalleled journey of self-discovery. In wresting back control of her dreams, she learns that this “frightening creature” was not at all what she expected and she is shocked to find that just by existing, she is embroiled in an age-old controversy among a forgotten lineage of divine creatures. Creatura by Nely Cab follows Isis on her journey through this unfamiliar world while she experiences the heart wrenching magic of first love, and tries to determine just how she fits into the world around her.

I’m hard pressed to give an overall opinion of how I feel about this book. On the one hand, once I got into it, I found it eminently readable and engaging and was eager to see what would happen next. Cab creates engaging characters, a main character we grow to love, and a good representation of the overwhelming nature of first love and how breathtaking and intense it can be. On the other hand, there were many elements of the book that could greatly benefit from more time spent in the rewrite stage. Not enough time is spent on character development in the early part of the book to allow us to really feel connected to the characters before the story begins spinning off in unpredictable directions. Also, while Cab does a good job representing the heart wrenching nature of first love, there are many places where the dialogue is so trite that I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Though we know that one of the lovers is a very old immortal, Cab takes many liberties in giving him excessively gooey lines that are hard to swallow.

Another challenge for me as a reader was the lone chapter in the middle of the story that is told from David’s point of view. I understand that this chapter related information that was important to the story and that as Isis was not present, we needed to learn the information in another way, but I think it would have greatly contributed to the flow of the story if she had found a way to present it to us without the abrupt change in point of view.

Overall, I’m torn, as I was engaged in Cab’s narrative and interested in her characters and the direction of the story, but felt there were definitely some places that needed more revision and careful attention paid to dialogue. It is clear to me that Cab has something to offer to this genre and I’m hopeful that with additional attention to detail in the revision process, her novels will live up to the potential she seems to possess.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creatura.