Angela's Reviews > Life After God

Life After God by Douglas Coupland

442036
Jul 05, 12

Read from July 02 to 05, 2012

To be honest, it was pure curiosity that made me pick this up. The cover copy says it all: "We are the first generation raised without God." And, well, we are. Society has settled down and God has fallen to the wayside for many people, so... what now? How do we live?

This is neither pro- or anti-religion, which I think makes it appealing to all. It simply... is. The prose has a forlorn feel, like everything the narrator is discussing—and he's discussing pretty much everything—is clouded in solitude and loneliness.
Whether you go to the corner store for ten minutes or whether you go to Hawaii for two weeks, all your dog experiences during your absence is a "sadness event" of no fixed duration. "One hour... two weeks—it's all the same to your dog. [The dog] suffered and was miserable, but not the way a person would have suffered."

So the question is, what do we need? It's not preachy, but the answer is obvious. Our narrator is trying to live a life without God, trying to find some sort of meaning... and falling short every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life After God.