Stephanie's Reviews > The Fourth Bear

The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde

6920299
Oct 22, 14

Read from October 15 to 20, 2014

Finished THE FOURTH BEAR (Nursery Crime #2) by Jasper Fforde yesterday or the day before. Everything's blurring together this week. This was the second book starring Jack Spratt as our protagonist.

I honestly can't tell which book I preferred more in the Nursery Crimes series, as they were both so engaging. I think THE FOURTH BEAR possibly did a better job of reading like a crime thriller though. It could have been due to the nature of the Gingerbreadman on the loose though. A good serial killer hunt is always a fun read in my mind.

Fforde had one passage though that made me pause and cry out in dismay that the series was supposed to end at #2, "If he didn't deal with her, the Jack Spratt series was likely to stop abruptly at the second volume. No third book and definitely no boxed set."

I have always thought this series was purposefully discontinued, but as I mentioned yesterday Fforde's website says that it is two books so far. Which hopefully means eventually it will be have a new title, although I doubt it would release anytime within the next three years. It's been eight years already since the original release of THE FOURTH BEAR, I'm not expecting anything soon.

I really like Jack as a protagonist...but really I like all the characters. I'm always impressed with anyone (fan fictioneers as well) who can take an established character and breath a different life into it. I don't want to spoil anything but I find Madeleine's origins widely entertaining.

As with most Fforde stories, I would definitely recommend this. As with most crime series you don't have to read them in order, but as there are only two, just go for them in order.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fourth Bear.

10/15/2014 marked as: currently-reading