Sue's Reviews > Heart and Soul

Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy

May 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction, read-2012
Read from May 21 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

Dr Clara Casey really doesn't want to be the head of a new heart clinic. But, since she has accepted the role for a year, she is determined to make the most of it, to design the layout in her own way, to employ the kind of staff she wants, and most of all to confound Frank, the administrator of the attached hospital.

So she employs nice young doctor Declan, and two attractive nurses; she takes Ania, a Polish refugee, under her wing, and she arranges the new clinic exactly as she wants it, riding roughshod over everyone else's ideas - but she has the welfare of her patients in mind, and it all works surprisingly well.

The book follows the intertwined lives of several of the staff and their families, and also some of the patients who become regulars at the clinic. There were perhaps rather too many characters for a standalone novel, but many of them appeared in previous novels by Maeve Binchy, so I quite enjoyed the tying up of some loose ends, and the feeling of getting back in touch with old friends - even though it took me a while to recognise some of them!

The characterisation is good, and I felt it was a warm and friendly book. Almost four and a half stars.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart and Soul.