Jo's Reviews > The Wednesdays

The Wednesdays by Julie Bourbeau

Nov 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: for-review, oh-how-we-laugh, kiddlywinks, e
Read from November 11 to 13, 2011

“Max shrugged and decided to follow. He was quite certain that this was all going to turn out to be either a very good idea or a very bad idea. He just wished that he could tell which one.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Nearly….? :-D

High Points.
Max. A case of the Wednesdays. Clock towers. Little bastards. Thursday. Blue dye. Baby Elvis. Bird poo. Parapsychologists. Piano Tuners. Drink fountains. Gemma Swift. Noah. Tree houses. The setting.

Low Points.
In my head I had some kind of crazy hybrid of Gremlins, Yoda and I wanted more of everything because I'm greedy. More Max. More Noah. More Thursday. More story. But most of all more Wednesdays!Minions. YES.
Also, I just checked the prices for flights from Manchester to Mt. Tibidabo and it’s so expensive.
Even Ryan Air aren’t willing to cut me a deal.
*pouts*

Hero.
Oh Maxwell Valentino Bernard, which is possibly the best name ever. But it’s funny because if someone in a YA book I would be so angry.
But middle grade books can get away with it… because they are brilliant.
Anyway, back to Max.
Oh poor Max. He makes me look lucky and I’m the girl who once broke her toe when a packet of frozen mince fell out of the freezer onto it (I wish I was kidding).
What I love most about mg books is that sense of adventure that our heroes have. When everyone in his town is cowering in their house on Wednesday, Max is all like “Whatever” and runs around, laughing, making friends and turning blue.
Yes, that’s right. HE TURNS BLUE.
Max is hilarious, and never whinges. Did I mention he turns blue? And has to wash his hair with oil? You see that’s the difference between Max and I… I would be sulking like no one’s business if that happened but for Max, it’s all part of the adventure!
And I want to be best friends with him.
I’ll just have to work hard on not making him cross.
Because I know what he’s capable of and I want my clothes to stay dry.
It’s getting cold out.

Parapsychologists.
Well, I wish this was a regular topic on this blog.
There are three things I feel MG/YA books need more of: Mummies, dinosaurs and parapsychologists.
(Can you imagine the book with all three of them in? Oh man, I’m going to write that book.)
Anyway, Dr Conkle-Smoak (Telepathy, hypnotism, apparitions, and haunts… also piano tuning, but that’s just a hobby) is brought in to help out when Max gets a case of the Wednesdays.

“Get to the point!” Max roared irritably.
“Fine,” sniffed Dr. Conkle-Smoak, who looked hurt by Max’s interruption. “To put it in the crass terminology that seems to be preferred by your appallingly inattentive generation: you need to shock the little bastards."

LOL.

Theme Tune.

Monsters by The Boy Least Likely To.

Scaredy Cat Level.
I think you’ll be OK with this one.
But it does get a bit hairy towards the end.
Meep.

Recommended For.
People who don’t like Mondays Wednesday. People who will always be polite to people, whether they are monsters or not. People who like to get up to mischief. People who wonder why babies stare at them in an odd manner. People who have ever wondered how powerful their mind actually is. People who always wonder why the Town Hall clock is ever so slightly slow :-|

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publishers.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting thing on my blog here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wednesdays.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Heidi What a fun, cute little review!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) lovely review, Jo :)

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars