Cathrine Bonham's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Nov 24, 2011

bookshelves: fairy-tales-retold
Recommended for: Lovers of Fairy tales
Read from November 21 to 24, 2011 , read count: 1

Another great read courtesy of Goodreads recommendations. I wasn't really sure I would use the system as I hardly need a computer to tell me what I like to read but so far the suggestions have been right on.

Now about the book: Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the fairy tale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." This retelling though well written and entertaining has no real twist to it. What I mean is that it isn't really original. It brings no new elements to the well known story.

Though I guess one could consider the knitting hook Original, except knitting uses needles not hooks. That's crochet. Now I'm confused.

In the book the Male lead knitts. He knitts chains and socks and hats and scarves and a shawl. In the back of the book there is a pattern for knitting your own shawl. That's the hook. If you want to knitt that is.

Now I feel like I am giving a bad review when I really did enjoy reading it. So let me add that I thought that it was exciting and gave a realistic look into a medival country caught between ancient superstition and the over zelious catholic witch hunters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.