Tracey's Reviews > Successful Freelancing for Web Designers: The Best of Smashing Magazine

Successful Freelancing for Web Designers by Smashing Magazine

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: reference-technical-web, reference-small-business, reference-graphic-design, reference-design, xx-published-2011, xx-2011-reads
Read from November 10 to December 26, 2011

This has a lot of practical advice on starting a freelancing business as a web designer. Each of the chapters is written by a different author and at the end of their section there is a bio of what the author currently does in 'real life' that allows them to give their opinions/guidance.

I took my time reading this and although most of the time it correlated to my own ideas and experience and yet I was still able to find useful tips along the way. Customer relationship and relevant communication was at the forefront of most articles and there were a few suggestions on dealing with difficult projects or customers.

The last few chapters were similar in advice and initially I thought the differing viewpoints on whether a business should charge by the hour or by project was odd but then I realised that this is going to be personal choice and perhaps one based on locality, what stage you are in your business, i.e. startup.

The contributing authors presented well the pro's and con's of both sides well and it makes one realise that the role of a freelance web designer is not always the instant hit you would like it to be and need requires continual work on the part of the freelancer to build up and maintain workload and relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Successful Freelancing for Web Designers.

11/10/2011 page 28
13.0% "Already found that this book has quite a lot of good advice in just a few short chapters. Liking the writing style and the input of various contributors."
11/12/2011 page 48
23.0% "I'm liking the practical advice and as each chapter is written by various authors it gives a good varied viewpoint."
12/08/2011 page 80
38.0% "Slowly getting through this one as there is no rush. There are some great tips and ideas for those starting out and I've taken away a few ideas myself."
show 3 hidden updates…