Maribeth Guarino's Reviews > Flame of Surrender

Flame of Surrender by Rhiannon Paille

Nov 10, 11

Read in November, 2011

I thought the entire idea behind the story was intense and extremely creative, and it came out that way on paper. The pretense of the story in general and the plotline was totally unique; I’ve never read anything similar to it off the top of my head. The creativity instantly intrigued me, and I really enjoyed the characters. Not only were they truly trying to discover their purpose in life, but their purposes were critical to the safety of their country. The parable idea and the fact that everyone was given a purpose in the country was also creative and thought-provoking, and very well-written.

However, there were a few things that were a little confusing. The beginning was one of these things because the reader is put in the middle of a different world with different customs, roles, traditions, landmarks, etc. and there was little to no immediate explanation; everything was touched on throughout the book, which is okay, just a bit confusing. Specifically, I thought the idea of a Ferryman and Flame was almost too vague; there was little history of the country, it didn’t really seem as though any of the characters understood what was going on either, which just made for a very dizzying read as I tried to put pieces together.

Other than that, though, I thought the relationships between characters were pretty well fleshed out, especially that of Pux and Kaliel. Their friendship is unbreakable, which leads me to my next point – the ending. It was also slightly confusing, if only because I was still piecing some parts together, like the idea of a Gatekeeper and such, but it was SUCH a cliff-hanger. No matter how well the story was written, and despite the confusing parts, the most prominent reason I’m so excited for the second book, The Flame of Justice, is because of the ending. Everything is left hanging, and there’s no real resolution to anything. Some characters were left in the middle of a battle, while others were knocked unconcious or kneeling among the dead. So basically, it is imperative that I read the second book! All in all, a great read, and I do recommend this book for readers who want a book that will test their imaginations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame of Surrender.