Seana's Reviews > Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins

F_50x66
Nov 10, 11

I read this partly hoping to read some tales of derring-do and partly to get some sort of insight into the type of person who enters into the shadow world, and wasn't terribly rewarded in either case. I am not even sure that Perkins is typical of the kind of person who does what he did, which was basically to manipulate economic data to lend credence to various projects that the enterprises he worked for wanted to see done. He seemed to have qualms early on, and to have sought out people who would validate these qualms. This is a credit to him, but as he states in the book, the people who worked for him or came after him didn't really have these qualms, because the true objective, which was to entwine the fate of countries that have the raw resources the industrialized world craves with our own has become more veiled since his day.

I would like to read something by someone who has an intelligent criticism of Perkins analysis, because I'm really just taking his version at face value. Still, it's an interesting tale, readable and literate, although perhaps not as shocking to our jaded sensibilities as he might think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.