Becky Ginther's Reviews > Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: grades-2-4, grades-5-7, realistic-fiction, graphic-novels
Read in November, 2011

To begin with, this isn't really "my kind" of book. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Greg is writing in his "diary," and details the everyday events that happen to him. He certainly is a bit of a wimpy kid, constantly trying something new or looking for adventure only to be met with failure. Once you get into the book you start to realize that nothing is going to go right for Greg when he tries something new! He writes about his experiences in school, including being forced to try out for the school play, his Halloween experiences, what life is like with his best friend Rowley, and the wrestling unit they take part in during gym class.

I do think it's a book more likely to be enjoyed by boys than girls - and that's probably a very good thing, as boys, more than girls, tend to need a gentle nudge to read fiction, anyway. It's also not a book that translates to the adult reader all that well, like some children's and young adult novels are doing today (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson). There's a little immaturity (think fart jokes and such) that boys will probably find hilarious but most adults won't be impressed by. It's probably very funny for kids though.

The illustrations really work with the story. They are simple, cartoon style drawings that help to illustrate what is happening to Greg. They are cute and usually pretty funny, and make the story a bit more interesting.

All in all it's a book about a year in the life of an average middle school student - and Greg encounters situations that probably every middle school student can relate to. Of course, there's also a bit of a moral lesson at the end, but it's worked in well and very naturally.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I've never read any of these but I've wondered what makes them so popular. Boys grow at such different rates. I remember a boy in 8th grade who was the size of a 3rd grader. He eventually caught up to the other boys but I think he struggled with his identity.