Ilsa Bick's Reviews > Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick

Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber

Nov 10, 11

Okay, I'm going to get this off my chest right off the bat: I don't care what the marketing people say, but this isn't a young adult novel. Yes, you can make the protag eighteen; you can send him to prom; but that doesn't mean you've written a YA novel, especially when the protag acts and carries himself like, oh, a twenty-nine or thirty-something. I wasn't convinced and I don't think most readers will be either.

Just so we're clear on that.

Having said that, this book was a blast. Schreiber's also very active in the Star Wars universe, and if those books, which I've not read, even approach the fun and craft of his more popular novels (all of which I've read and of which Chasing the Dead is still my favorite) then those Star Wars fans are blessed. Here, Schreiber crafts yet another fast-paced page-turner. Think Ferris Bueller meets La Femme Nikita, and you'll get the picture. This breezy, action-packed novel follows high school senior Perry Stormaire, who only wants to get into Columbia and finds himself been roped by his parents into taking their lumpish Lithuanian exchange student, Gobija Zaksauskas, to prom. In very short order, Gobi reveals herself as anyting but boorish. Gobi is a trained assassin, in stiletto heels no less. What begins as the prom date from hell turns into a pedal-to-the-metal, high-octane ride through Manhattan as Gobi goes after her targets. Despite the very real tragedy driving Gobi's behavior, it's very hard to take this at all seriously, largely because I suspect Schreiber had such fun figuring out how he was going to get his charcters out of their next jam. Structuring each chapter around questions taken from college applications--What single word best describes you and why? (Princeton); What are the responsibilities of an educated person? (Yale); etc.)--is an inspired touch.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This sounds fun! Definitely on the to-read list now.

Rhys How does Perry act as a thirty something protag? He's confused and being led around by a young, gorgeous lithuanian girl, dragged in the wake of her destruction. He can't stand up to his father and isn't particularly worldy wise.