Cyp's Reviews > Boyfriend From Hell

Boyfriend From Hell by E. Van Lowe

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: ya, angels-or-demons, 1-star, 2011-reads, blog-tour, did-not-finish, did-not-meet-expectations, dont-bother
Read in December, 2011

I ditched the book. Couldn't stand the male protagonist and the heroine. I don't even want to rate it.

The heroine was a bad friend and an even worse daughter who lies to her only kin - her mother. Her mother who only wanted another chance at love, which her daughter pretended to approve, but secretly backstabs her and her dates, and tries at every turn to ruin what her mother tries so hard achieve. It's nauseating. And when her two friends finally acts on their feelings for each other and are obviously way head over heels for each other, she says she's fine and wishes them luck, but inside she bitches about it, saying her friend is naggy (your friend just wanted to gush about her feelings, and you can't even listen?), and later on starts to develop a tinge of jealousy.

The hero? No better. He uses his influence over heroine to convince her to ditch school, play truant, and steal the school's letter to her mother informing mother about her recent rebellious behaviours. He is overly haughty, arrogant, and full of himself. I really couldn't stomach it any further.

And are all jocks really IQ-challenged? Cause there's that stereotype heavily enphasized here.

But there were a few redeemable qualities that I've noticed. For example is Lowe's phrasings.

"It was Sunday afternoon. The next day. We were seated at the food court in the Glendale mall, digesting my problem along with a double order of curly fries."

It was cool. And there was this one part that was super awesome. I loved how Guy could recite poetic lines but didn't come off as cheesy. Example:

"There can only be one hero,” he crooned softly, and he touched my hand.

Another jolt. No, bigger. Because of Guy’s touch, an electrical storm was raging inside me.

“Yeah.” The word fell from my lips, a soft tremor.
Get a grip, Megan! This is what you’ve been waiting for.

“And to the victor goes the spoils. Right?”

Huh? What does that mean? He leaned in.

“Right?” he repeated, his breath on my face.

“Yes… Right.”

I guess he could be romantic if he wanted to. And badass. Sexy, smart. Just from a little poetry. Haha, yep, so there were good stuff, but the bad overrode the good, so.:/

Pity really - so much potential...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend From Hell.

12/05/2011 page 81
29.0% "She has got to be one of the most selfish and worst friend ever! I am seriously considering ditching this book..>:("

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Is it really that bad?

message 2: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp To me.....yeah. :/ But haha, I ditched the book. Couldn't stand the girl. But I've heard good things about it from other reviewers, so you COULD try it. And I'd really like to hear your views on it, or is it just me? And I am a little curious about what will happen at the end too, actually.:P

message 3: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Of course... I have to do the dirty work..... But okay! I'll try it!! It sounds interesting as well..

message 4: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Lol! Ohhh, you understand the human mind too well, Angela! Kidding.XP Haha, I hope you enjoy it better than I did, tho!

message 5: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I'll do my best to!!! I'll try to find a copy of it at the library or buy one. The end will probably be cheesy, considering the genre.

message 6: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Lol, you're judging it before you even read the book! Tsk tsk, aw, give it a chance! Look, they're both staring imploringly up at you from the cover!

message 7: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Meanwhile, they are fondling each other...... a great way to go for two teenagers, especially them.

message 8: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Yeah, and the guy doesn't even look her age... Pedophile!

message 9: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Total!!! I have a feeling that the dude who's Satan is mom's boyfriend....... What if he wanted decided to make out with the daughter............ The SUPREME PEDOPHILE!

message 10: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp HAHAHAHA! You're not far off, actually. Just the last part is a little too batshit crazy imagination.XD Yep, ok, I'm spoilering you enough. A little confession tho, I did sneak a peek at the end..But wasn't feeling to inclined to finish the entire book.^^"

message 11: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Wow.................. I have a friend who always does that. She decides whether to read a book by reading the end after reading the first fifty pages. If it's a good ending, she'll read it. If it's a bad one, she'll still read it, but skip most of the book. It's really sad, but funny as well because the first thing she'll comment about a book is the ending either sucked or was iffy.

But I always read the ending of a book if I can't handle it.

Usually, I try to act superior to her by lecturing her

but I am being hypocritical........

message 12: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Hahaha. I only take a peek at the ending if I really can't stand the book and I know I'm gonna ditch the book sooner or later. OH and if I sense a non-HEA. I CANNOT stand non-HEA books. Haha, must be the romantic in me. But yeah, other than that, I try not to look at the ending.

message 13: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I know!! Books with a non-HEA ending drive me insane, like the end of Sapphique by Catherine Fisher. It was total cliffhanger, even though it was the end of the series.

I consider Romeo & Juliet a HEA "book". I dunno why. Maybe it's because they can be heaven together forever........ But they were both idiots, in my opinion.

message 14: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Lol! Saying their idiots implies that you're scolding Shakespeare too, y'know? So are you saying that Shakespeare was a retard, young lady?>:|

And by Catherine Fisher you mean the one who wrote Incarceron?

message 15: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Yes! Sapphique is the sequel to Incarceron.......

I AM SOBBING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Besides that, yes Shakespeare created the most amazing plays in the world with the most emotional characters, but his characters seriously lacked in the IQ level.

message 16: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp HAHAHA. Ok, that's officially the most epic sentence of the year.. "Shakespeare created the most amazing plays in the world with the most emotional characters, but his characters seriously lacked in the IQ level.

Wow... Oh, and I read the first two pages of Incarceron and ditched it. Haha..^^" Think I'll go reread it tho. But not soon. Too many books clogging up my TBR pile.

You gave the most epic sentence of the year, but I'm reading the most epic book of the decade!! Omg, I have to tell you this. I'm not a fan of Contemporary Romance, but the very first one I read, which is the series I'm reading now, is SO GOOD. Beyond good. English adjectives isn't even comprehensive enough. It is so good. Haha.XP It's called the Fifty Shades series by E.L. James. It's so good I'm only halfway thru the second book but I'm suffering from withdrawal symptom already cause the third book's not out yet..TT

message 17: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Thank you very much for awarding me with such a prestigious award. I will treasure this award for the rest of my life!

------------------------------------------
I am checking Fifty Shades right now.

Comments: Has a great rating
Wow!! A whole ton of people love it......
Maybe I should try it out.... Before my mom finds out........ You know...... Erotic romances, especially Harlequin's kind are banned for people my age. But does it work? No.

*sigh* I guess I will have to wait a couple of years before my mom's censoring of books (she always finds out about "bad" books I read. Did you know that she banned me from reading The Hunger Games, but that was a year after I already read it). She still has not found out that I have read at least ten of them so far. Besides, my friend used to always read them before I accidentally got her hooked on manga and anime...

Anyway.. I'll definitely try it out one day!!

message 18: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Haha, please do! And I have been in the Anime/Manga phase before. Was real crazy over it. Like seriously 24-hours-in-front-of-com-staring-with-my-eyes-bulging kind of crazy. But now, I'm more into the literary world, so, oh well.:)

message 19: by Angela (last edited Dec 10, 2011 08:46AM) (new) - added it

Angela Same here. A year ago, you would have found me in the bookstore only reading manga. Now, I read more "real" books like I used to. The reasons? I read all of the ones I liked, my parents called it "Japanese trash" and it was creepy how obsessed one can become. It scared me, a little. I still read it a little, but definitely not as much as I used to. How about you?

message 20: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp My parents and sister were all like, "Get a life." Then my friend she introduced Percy Jackson to me and it was so good that I first started reading fiction books about myths and lores, then later I branched out into the other genres and subgenres. Really glad I did, too.:D

message 21: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I can totally see that happening. Percy Jackson can definitely change anyone's life. Did you like the ending of The Last Olympian? I did not enjoy it that much, but I was relieved when The Heroes of Olympus was announced. I just love Percy! He is one of my favorite characters in any genre of all time. I am not sure why. It is probably because he is not perfect, but he admits it with pride.

Did you read the first two in the Heroes of Olympus.

message 22: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp I was fine with the ending, but I felt totally shattered cause the whole series ended, and I quickly went in search of any news if there was to be another series following up. And turned out it did! Haha, then I felt much better. MUCH better.

Yep, I've read book one, it was ok, but my friend said book two had a crazy cliffhanger, so I'm laying off on PJ for awhile.

message 23: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Good idea! I was dying to read The Son of Neptune for months. After a few days of the release date, I begged my friend, whom I asked to borrow her copy of, to let me borrow it. But her brother was taking 3-4 days to read it, so I had to wait another week. When I finally read it, I was so excited. But when I finished, I was disappointed. Thanks a whole bunch Rick Riordan for making your fans wait a whole year for the next one. The cliffhanger is ridiculous and annoying.

I was like this;

The first book was not a favorite of mine. I just disliked all of the characters, especially Jason. I know how everyone says he is similar to Percy. But I think he's a deformed clone of Percy. He does not really act like Percy that much. Remember the scene when he fought the giant with the stick and was announcing who he was at the end of the book. That just floored me.

message 24: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp I can't really remember it, actually.. It didn't make much of an impression, so I guess I forgot about it shortly after I finished it. Lol. And "deformed clone"? Haha, that cracked me up. But my PJ hype is really almost gone, if not gone already. So, I'm not too excited to read Son of Neptune.:/ And I notice you have a lot of animations, lol.

message 25: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Yeah, I love them (emoticons) because they can express your emotions with fewer words. It saves time and they're cute.

I guess anyone's PJ hype can be lost. It's Disney-Hyperion's marketing scheme and Riordan's terrible planning...

Sorry for my late messaging. My mom kicked me off the computer because I was on for 3 hours. Notice, she is very controlling mother.

message 26: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Haha. Nah, it's ok. Yeah, I hate cliffhangers. They are a major turn-off.:/

message 27: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela The more obvious a cliffhanger is, the more likely one will hate the book...... Don't they realize that?

message 28: by Cyp (new) - added it

Cyp Haha, yeah.. Especially if there's a long wait for the next book.

message 29: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Yeah, a year or slightly less is typical for a book. But more than a year is ridiculously long. Like Cassandra Clare's series.