Julianna Helms's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: own-arc, e-stuff
Read from November 24 to 25, 2011

Quick reaction: Think TWILIGHT and EVERMORE combined, except with aliens, and way more awesome!

Long reaction: Original is here: http://thereviewsnews.blogspot.com/20... (due to copy-and-paste, formatting has been lost, though I did label MINOR spoilers with the spoiler tags, but honestly, I don't feel like they're really, you know, spoilers.)

A witty, stunning ride, Obsidian will charm you with its realistic heroine and an extraterrestrial lore comprised of fascination and love.

The characters and voice were what I considered the best parts of this novel. It was refreshing and humorous, but gripping with tension. I loved the originality of Jennifer's take on aliens, and I, for one, wouldn't mind at all to be a Luxen. (view spoiler) I related to [Katy] almost instantly, and she delivers a fast-paced story that does not disappoint. Daemon frustrated me, but his soft and vulnerable side had this girl blushing! I look forward to the development of Katy and Daemon's relationship in Onyx, (view spoiler) I enjoyed the realistic depictions instead of insta-love.

Now I have to admit that I was at first a bit worried. You can tell from the summary that Daemon is an alien, but we don't actually find that out until more than 100 pages into the story. And while I do wish the fact was brought up earlier, honestly, I didn't have too much trouble holding on to the story because Katy's story was definitely engrossing. (view spoiler) Alas, I'm not one to complain, for this book truly surpassed my expectations.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. I found it at times to be similar to Twilight or Evermore, and maybe even a bit I am Number Four, but this book, ultimately, is its own story that combines the angst and desire of Twilight and Evermore, the action and high-stakes of I am Number Four, and the originality and brilliant voice of Jennifer L. Armentrout.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

Quotes Julianna Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Because this absolutely insane - the craziest thing I'd ever done. Worse than giving a one-star review, scarier than asking for an interview with an author I'd give my firstborn to eat lunch with, more stupid than kissing Daemon.”
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Obsidian

11/24/2011 page 107
40.0% "LOVE this so far. It's great!!!"
11/25/2011 page 225
85.0% "... JUST KISS ALREADY. GAH."
11/25/2011 page 246