Julianna Helms's Reviews > The Shadow

The Shadow by Kelly Green

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: own-arc, e-stuff
Read from November 10 to 20, 2011

Quick reaction: Huh. It was... good.. but... not great. A bit melodramatic. Some things didn't make sense. Overall, though, a refreshing and humorous read.

Long reaction: Original is here: http://thereviewsnews.blogspot.com/20.... (Due to copy-and-paste, formatting has been lost. Abby Grace refers to the book, not the protagonist.)

Borrowing Abby Grace is a humorous and refreshing read that handles paranormal with grace (pun intended).

I enjoyed Abby Grace. These quick "episodes" have fulfilling, witty characters. The premise is killer as well... except it wasn't exactly what I expected.

I didn't expect this book to be so "light." It was a nice surprise... but not exactly what I was looking for. I have to admit that there were times the characters' reactions were quite melodramatic and difficult to relate to, and there were plot holes that could have been avoided but weren't. The story also carried us in a mysterious direction that, when over, made sense but just didn't seem plausible because there was no foundation/foreshadowing leading up to that point. (A good plot-twist book? The Demon's Lexicon). I understand that these are "episodes" so they are supposed to be quick, but that doesn't mean you can't expand on some important plot points to have an impact-ful result. Despite these downfalls, though, Abby Grace gracefully integrates the paranormal aspect into the protagonist's life, and I do appreciate that.

Overall, I did like Borrowing Abby Grace. This series is basically Nancy Drew meets Paranormalcy. So if you enjoy both, you might like these "episodes" more than I did. Do give them a try, though. This is one interesting ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow.