JD Switz's Reviews > Forever Mine

Mar 30, 2015

did not like it
bookshelves: dont-even-think-about-it-throw-it
Read in November, 2011

Such a beautiful cover. Too bad the story isn't as beautiful. I'm not even halfway done and already I can tell where the story is going.

Sorry, but withholding information about a male best friend from a boyfriend is not enough to hold this story together. Getting jealous about past relationships that had nothing to do with you in the first place isn't enough to hold this story together. Getting jealous over every little thing and detail about someone's life whom you've barely known is childish, especially when the teens in this story are old enough to know better. All we have here is a good-looking girl and a good-looking guy who are too insecure. Maybe that's enough for young high schoolers but, for me, it's pretty stupid.

For someone who cares about Sydney the way that Sarah is claiming, there shouldn't have even been a secret to hide. Sydney's always been there for her when she needed him, and still is, so what's the problem?
If he's that important to her as she says he is then Angel should be the one who has to accept that, not the one who's providing the ultimatum. Then she's the one who keeps saying she's leaving, so why is she letting Angel have so much power over her life?

This is THE MAJOR PROBLEM I have with stories like this. Looks, although important, should not be the only basis to the actual story.

Secondly, where's the so-called spark? I don't feel it between these two because of all the problems that shouldn't be problems getting in the way. That would be fine if they were sophomores. They're seniors! I've never known any seniors who've acted like this. You'd think that Angel would be ready and willing to abuse Sarah if he didn't get his way. It's petulant and childish, another thing that doesn't even bring enough support to the actual story....whatever the story is.

Now I have to finish this just to see if Forever Mine can be salvaged. If these imaginary issues are the plot, then this is a big FAIL already. I'd take Beautiful Disaster over this any day.

Oh, and both boys have WOMEN names. Angel. Sydney. Even playing that route is ridiculous.

Thirdly, too may of them are in each other's relationships. Valerie giving Sarah advice about keeping a guy when she's fooling around with who knows who? Yeah. Okay. Then when she gets a Moreno, she's hooking up with Romero? I get that she's trying to protect her feelings, but who is she to say who Angel is when she didn't even know the Moreno brothers knew her all that well? Doesn't hold up.

Then, what's with the wording? When you're telling us something that happened, there's no need to put it in dialogue when you've already said it happened. For example:

'She wasn't sure it was a good idea. She didn't know if she could keep it secret any longer.'

"I'm not sure this is a good idea. I don't know how long I can hold this secret."

Um, no. You've already told us this. Unless you're planning to change something about what you've already told us, there's no need to repeat it!

This story, as a whole so far, is full of contradictions, inconsistencies, and the holes are just forming. And let's not even talk about the terrible grammar and lack of punctuation when needed.

LATER...

I'm a bit past the half point in the story and I'm still not satisfied. When Sarah was informed of Sydney's accident, why would she STILL keep lying about his identity? What if they said Sydney was dead? Would the alias still be important to her? I'm sorry, but I might have to discontinue this story and give it a big fat F.

I may need time to finish this one, even though I know where it is going. Hell, it took me 3 days to even get this far. Now I'm just suffering through the rest.

I need a break. Or I may not finish this one at all.
LATER...

I'm done with it. Seriously. I can't say I enjoyed it, either. This story just couldn't hold my attention the way I wanted it to and I knew exactly how it would go down.

I won't be reading anything by this author anymore; of that I'm positively sure.

It gets an F. Final answer, Regis.

17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Mine.

Jessica Monotan you review is spot on! the relationship was full of lust more than anything and he was hirbbly controlling and sound sooooo ARROGANT? OBNOXIOUS? he treated her horrible i feel after he found out about sydney and i don't really like his brother alex either :/

message 2: by JD (new) - rated it 1 star

JD Switz Jess wrote: "you review is spot on! the relationship was full of lust more than anything and he was hirbbly controlling and sound sooooo ARROGANT? OBNOXIOUS? he treated her horrible i feel after he found out ab..."

I just wished this story could have been more enjoyable...

Jewell Luke After reading this review and seeing all the things you've mentioned so far, I feel discouraged from finishing it.

Mad For Books I'm thinking.. Can this author even write properly?

message 5: by JD (new) - rated it 1 star

JD Switz Mad For wrote: "I'm thinking.. Can this author even write properly?"

I don't think she can. This was such a silly story.