James's Reviews > Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life

Overcoming Autism by Lynn Kern Koegel

Jun 26, 08

bookshelves: children, culture-and-politics, psychology, relationships, health-care-healing-and-wellness
Recommended for: Family members or professionals who has a person with an autism-related disorder in his or her life
Read in June, 2008

Wonderful. I cannot praise this book highly enough. This is an example of "how it should be done" as a source of clear explanation of autism's symptoms and their effects on people who have the disorder and their families, of solid practical guidance on how to cope with and overcome the problems that go with autism, and of encouragement and inspiration for parents, other family members, and professionals working with people with autism.
As a psychotherapist, I am grateful to the authors for this book - it has expanded my understanding of the disorder and given me more tools to work with clients and families dealing with autism spectrum disorders, both to help change specific behaviors and help clients learn to do things that they need to do, and to help their families help them and take care of themselves while they do so.
I wish this book had been available for my mother, who taught first grade, and who sometimes worked with autistic children in her classroom - she had good instincts and figured out some strategies similar to those explained in this book on her own, but she would have loved having this guide to help her do more to help those children. I also wish this book had been around and had been required reading when I was in grad school learning to be a marriage, family, and child counselor. It would have been a very worthy addition to the library with which our faculty equipped us. I have been recommending this book to colleagues since I got a little way into reading it, and will go on doing so, and I am eager to see the next book the authors are writing, which they've said will focus on working with adolescents and possibly young adults with autism spectrum disorders.

To the authors: For your hard work and your generosity in sharing both your expertise and your inner thoughts and feelings, thank you. You've given the world a real gift in this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overcoming Autism.