marissa's Reviews > Blankets

Blankets by Craig Thompson

122026
Jun 24, 07

Read in November, 2006

I started reading Blankets huddled up in bed while I was stuck at a friend's apartment, snowed in; it was really the perfect circumstance given that the story starts with Craig (the character) and his younger brother Phil in bed. And frankly, those were the best parts of the book in my opinion, Craig's recollections of his childhood.

Because once he grew to teenagerhood and met the love of his life, Raina, the book became all about their True Love Completely Unlike Love Anybody Else Ever Has Ever Known. Can you tell that I'm not that much of a romantic? Or rather, my version of romance doesn't revolve so much around shutting out everything else but one's romantic partner.

And this is where the book lost interest for me. Because while I intellectually understand Craig's behaviour in light of his childhood experiences and family of origin, there was only so much of his complete deification of Raina and disinterest in everybody else that I could take. I skimmed over most of the pages that were just portraits of Raina sleeping accompanied by hallelujahs to her specialness, eager to read more about Phil or Raina's dad Steve.

I mean, don't get me wrong — Craig and Raina's relationship is bang-on when it comes to teenaged narcissism and excessiveness. If that sort of thing is your bag, Blankets won't have any skippable spots for you; for me, the book was good enough that I kept going despite the skippable pages. Craig lays out his struggles concerning organized Christianity with an honesty that was at times painful for me to read, and those parts of the book were nothing short of engrossing. The art is lovely and clean as well with some truly stunning images, and that certainly helped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blankets.