Mohammed Al-Garawi's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Dec 08, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from November 20 to 22, 2011

Captivating, heart-stirring, enthralling, fascinating and bewitching. I don't recall the last time I teared up or had this heartache while reading a book.

A story of a high school student, who's fascinated by last words of dying people, who leaves his family to a boarding school seeking for what a dying poet called "The Great Perhaps".

The plot is wonderfully written and well thought of, I loved the character development, and I was moved and touched by the story.

The book was never dull at any single moment. Definitely one of my favorite books.

A quote from the book I really really loved:

“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

P.S. I seriously want everyone of my friends to read this book so we can discuss it.

P.P.S. If you didn't like this book, maybe we shouldn't be friends after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Mohammed Liked

John Green
John Green, Looking for Alaska

John Green
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noura Abdullah It's one of my favorite books. I don't care if it's categorized for Young Adults; it is one of the most relevant books I've come across. And yes, I can't be friends with someone who would hate this.
You know that line, "when I looked in her room, I saw a girl who loved books."? Yes, that line is responsible for my seeking the book after stumbling on that line.
And my god, "I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."? SUCCINCT ELOQUENCE!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

message 2: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed I have this. Can we be buddies? :3

message 3: by Raghda (new)

Raghda Al-Jaber I've been looking forward to read it ever since my friend suggested it. After this review, I'm even more excited that I was ! Thank you !