Chris's Reviews > The Road

M 50x66
Jul 26, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2008

All the time I was reading this book I struggled to think of what it reminded me of, but I didn't realize it was Jose Saramago's Blindness until I saw a trailer for the film adaptation of the latter. Never let it be said Hollywood adaptations of novels aren't good for anything.

Anyway, Blindness and The Road are very different even though both are about how ordinary people react to a cataclysm that causes a collapse of society. (For the record, I think it was the scenes of picking over ruins for food that struck me as most similar). Saramago's apocolypse is much more heavily populated than McCarthy's, and as a result the focus is squarely on how people construct a new society out of a state of nature. The Road, on the other hand, is much more about how an individual (technically two people, but the boy isn't making a lot of decisions) navigates dangers posed by nature and sheer survival as well as other people. The Road is also bleaker for a number of reasons, not least that its apocolypse is permanent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.