Claudia's Reviews > Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

Brain Rules by John Medina

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, professional-reading
Read from November 10 to 16, 2011

Wow -- where to begin? As a teacher I read the Brain Rules thinking of my students and my own practice. I learned some things I can control (one of the rules about how stress affects our brains -- lack of control hurts the most!) like giving kids choice and some control over what they do, to those I can't, including an eloquent discussion about the fact all brains develop at different rates, and expecting all children to read when WE decide it's appropriate is so wrong.

I loved his stories and metaphors...we think best in narrative, and he even helped me understand why so many current memoirs are being attacked for inaccuracies...our brains love patterns, and we'll fill in holes in patterns and narratives...that makes such sense.

I marked several passages for a return trip as I think more about education. He has much to tell me, and I just couldn't grasp it all the first time through.

My kids were surprised to hear me laughing out loud while reading...they (and I) expected the book to be much drier...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brain Rules.

11/10/2011 page 53
17.0% "2 recommendations in one day? Gotta read!"
11/14/2011 page 157
49.0% "He writes in metaphors...I like that!"
11/15/2011 page 300
94.0% "Nearly done...have learned a lot! I like that!"