Paradoxical's Reviews > Blood Red Road

1964421
Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in November, 2011

I don't really understand why people seem to like this book so much. It's a decent enough dystopian YA, but nothing about it blew me away. Part of the reason may be because of the dialect--I absolutely cannot stand how Saba and the rest talk in this book. Seeing as the book is all in her words, it's written like how she talks as well, which drives me up a wall.

As far as I can tell, the only thing truly special about the book is the way it's written--a minimalistic, rough sort of voice that matches Saba's character. In that way, I think the author succeeded, but I think if you aren't all that fond of Saba's voice... well, this book will be a flop. I actually don't mind Saba. She's her own character, is pretty unrepentant about it, and this sort of rough and tumble, stubborn to a fault, and slightly unpleasant personality doesn't really bother me. The way she speaks though... Argh.

The pace is fast and there's a lot of action. That said, the action feels a bit diluted to me because of how sparse the words are. A bit like there's a barrier between myself and what I'm reading that doesn't let me get into the story as much as I do other books. It's also pretty shallow. A somewhat quick, supposed to be fun read, but the convenient happenings, the way some things get glossed over because it seems easier for the author to write it like that than give a real reason--well. Overall, the book was rather flat to me. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't all that great. 3 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.