Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions 's Reviews > Mysterious Ways

Mysterious Ways by Jenna Hilary Sinclair

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: stupids
Read on December 04, 2011

I didn’t like this. Way too religious and preachy for my tastes. Endless thoughts about religion and how sinful being gay is and blah blah. Just not what I want to read about in a Christmas story, or any story for me. The MC’s thought were tedious and long and often times repetitive or about nothing important to the story. Yeah there is a lake I don’t need paragraphs describing it.

A large chunk of the book is in text messages with I don’t know what to call it, text speech? Like 4 instead of four or sk8 instead of skate. Either way it pulled me out of the story I was barely into trying to decipher some of those texts. It made the writing seem poor IMO

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mysterious Ways.

Lucy This one isn't seeming any lighter, so far

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions i am like 70% not for me... too heavy with the religion, self-doubt, and tedious thoughts about nothing. Just read a huge long paragraph about a lake… like ok wow bored

Lucy I'm 22% in and yes, It's a religious preach

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions eh sigh

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions i will be begging for something good from dsp soon

message 6: by Lauraadriana (new)

Lauraadriana Dammit I was about to start this! Advent Calendar sucks the BIG ONE this year! UGH!

Lucy Me too! I thought swaddling was going to be it

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yeah this one is not good. hard to explain. probably give two stars maybe 3 if something happens for the end

message 9: by Lauraadriana (new)

Lauraadriana Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "yeah this one is not good. hard to explain. probably give two stars maybe 3 if something happens for the end"

No thanks! Thankfully at least the Alpaca book was awesome last night, and (even though you didn't enjoy) the first one was good too, if not I would be PISSED! That damn baby book was crap.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions this just became a 1 star i think

message 11: by Lauraadriana (new)

Lauraadriana Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "this just became a 1 star i think"

DAMMIT! I'm giving up!

Lucy Why? I'm not halfway thru. What's the alpaca book?

message 14: by Lauraadriana (new)

Lauraadriana Lucy wrote: "Why? I'm not halfway thru. What's the alpaca book?"

Amy Lane came out over the weekend The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters by Amy Lane AWESOMESAUCE!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions i posted a review... i have lost all faith in DSP i want my money back

message 16: by Lauraadriana (new)

Lauraadriana DSP Editors hard at work...

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions they have no editors

Lucy I do believe I need to get Amy lane. I'm stalled on this

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions it sucks Lucy... just sucks

message 20: by Ami (new)

Ami Thanks for this B!!! I like Christmas stories, but too religious and preachy is not my thing (especially since I'm from a different religion altogether). You just save me time and can read something else instead.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "i will be begging for something good from dsp soon"

I'm starting to doubt their ability to provide such. :(

Your review made me really glad I went with my instincts and avoided this one.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I preorded the calendar. Complete waste of money so far.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "I preorded the calendar. Complete waste of money so far."

Woe! Woe! I did that once (last year) and learned my lesson. This year I saved a discount code to use and just picked the ones that sounded appealing. They've been mostly ok, but not great so far. MOSTLY ok.

In the one I read last night, a Hummer H2 ran over the spare tire at the beginning of the story... the spare tire that they then put on the car and drove on without problem. Ummmm.... No.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Lol that sounds like it will be another gem

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris That was just the most dramatic of the continuity errors. :) Oh, and you'll LURVE the one I just finished - coulda been a Harlequin.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Oh happy happy joy joy

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "Oh happy happy joy joy"

My work here is done. :)

Mandy*reads obsessively* You just can't win with these stories! :(
Well, at least we don't have to suffer in silence!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions thats true an the whole he sees the elf and no one else does thing seems more schizophrenic than paranormal. and a pregnant virgin mary on the bus? and the elf drives the bus? this guy was bat shit crazy. being gay the least of his worries

Mandy*reads obsessively* The religious stuff didn't bother me, cause I grew up with that stuff.
A lot of my family is still very much like that! So, I can actually feel for the poor guy. But, your right, we don't need it in a Christmas anthology that's supposed to be HAPPY! somebody needs to let these DSP know that!!!
Oh, and are you saying you don't see elves? really? None? ;)

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions no i do not see elves or pregnant virgins and i don't feel guilty and one flashback later instantly guilt free

Mandy*reads obsessively* Really? Maybe you need more coffee?
And how can one tell if the virgin is pregnant, or if the pregnant woman is a virgin, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell, and it would be rude to ask, so I'll have to assume, I haven't seen any either.;)
But, elves, they are cute, at least Orlando Blooms kind, I want to see more elves!!!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions maybe if i take some psychedelic drugs i will see elves and pregnant virgins like the MC, and i can go one a magical bus ride... but I'd rather stay sane

Mandy*reads obsessively* Yes, sane does have it's upside! Coffee for example! :)
But, I did think the author was trying to lighten an otherwise pretty heavy and again sad and depressing story!
I think the people at DSP might need drugs, the happy kind, these stories are really starting to get me down, and I need positive uplifting stuff on my life!
Well, now I'm on my second cup, and already things look better!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions coffee good... today's story not really cheery so far. broken bones. slutty mc yadda ya

Mandy*reads obsessively* Crap! Why? So far, I can honestly say the free HSD stories were by far better than these!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yes the free HSD stories were much more enjoyable and free

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris Bubbles.. Dane wrote: "yes the free HSD stories were much more enjoyable and free"

I can recommend Winter Warmers for a nicely done holiday anthology with a nice price ($2.99 for five stories), if you're looking for a break from the Advent Calendar...

Perpetua Ack B love your not having a very good time with this series are ye? I thought this one was boring and preachy to!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yeah. this whole series so far sucks

message 41: by Veronica / V (new)

Veronica /  V oh dear..another one B? we really messed up with this purchase didn't we?

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yes they all suck today's is the worst yet

Perpetua Oh no I still haven't read today's yet!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions dont waste your time. it is 90% (view spoiler)

Lucy Skipping it

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Leon by S.J.D. Peterson - 0 Stars My Special Review