Adrian's Reviews > Even Silence Has an End: My Six Years of Captivity in the Colombian Jungle

Even Silence Has an End by Ingrid Betancourt

M 50x66
Nov 10, 2011

Read in November, 2011

Prison memoirs used to be some of my best reading. I've read dozens of them but none recently. I. Betancourt's experience of being a hostage of FARC in the Colombian jungle for 6 1/2 years may change that. This is an astonishing tale of survival against all odds. She contracted hepatitis and malaria, was malnourished and trekked endlessly from camp to camp on forced marches and suffered continual reprisals from vicious commanders. But it's the friendships she made with Clara, Lucho and Marc (among others) that makes this memoir come alive. She refused to kow tow to the brutal conditions. Any romantic notions I mayt have had about FARC have been exploded. Outstanding. With one caveat- in the first chapter she suggests she was raped by guards but never says so explicitly instead uses euphemisms like 'brutalized'. I think we deserve the unvarnished truth here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even Silence Has an End.