Alexandra Robbins's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

4432067
Nov 10, 2011

Read from November 10, 2011 to January 12, 2012

On p247: I like this quote: "A magician is strong because he feels... the difference between what the world is and what he would make of it."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

01/02/2012 page 156
show 1 hidden update…

Caroline One of my very favorite books. The sequel, The Magician King, came out a few months ago, and I loved that too. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

message 2: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Robbins I'll keep you posted! : )

Rachel I just picked this up @ the library today!

Caroline The goose stuff is weird, but keep with this. That's only one small part of a fantastic larger story. :)

Rachel I couldn't get into it so I stopped reading about halfway. I think it just reminded me to much of Harry Potter.

Caroline No offense to Rachel, but it really is very different from Harry Potter, especially the second book. It's more cynical and "real." The ending to this first book is especially good.

Shruti I thought it was going to be a lot like Harry Potter too, but as I kept reading it actually felt a lot more like a cynical, made-for-adults blend of Harry Potter and the Narnia series. It has definite nods to both, but is distinctly more grown up and gritty.

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Jan 06, 2012 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel I might have liked it if I had stuck with it, I just have too many books to read and not enough time! Thanks for your feedback, I'll give it another try in the future.

Caroline Rachel wrote: "I might have liked it if I had stuck with it, I just have too many books to read and not enough time!"

I do think the first half of the book is Harry Potter-like, so I get what you're saying. It takes quite a turn as it goes on.

message 10: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Robbins Still reading it, but I wouldn't say it's *like* Harry Potter; only that it borrows from Harry Potter, as it does from Narnia, and perhaps a bit of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass. the tone, as others have said, is totally different from any of those, though.