Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Hissy Fit

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, chick-lit, purchased, read-in-2011, reviewed
Read from November 10 to 13, 2011

To be posted on Almost Grown-up:

I picked this audiobook up at a library sale quite some time ago, but on most long drives, I preferred to jam out to the radio. On my most recent trip to Orlando, however, I felt like being more entertained. I had a 3 hour trip up and a 3 hour trip back, so the 5 hours and 33 minutes of listening time sounded just about perfect.

Mary Kay Andrews paints a lovely picture in the beginning. Keeley Murdock is about to marry A.J. Jernigan, the “love of her life” and the son of one of the most influential families in town. When Keeley calls off the wedding (well-deserved– A.J.’s a cheating scumbag), his family takes it upon themselves to ruin her interior design business.

Luckily enough however, a rich new client has just come into town: Will Mahoney. Mahoney’s just bought the town “bra plant,” and they’re all biting their lips over whether or not he’ll be laying people off or not. Keeley gets over her distaste of the man to perform the interior design job he’s set for her. It’s ludicrous, of course. The deadline’s insane and it’s for a woman that Will wants to marry, but has never met.

Having no idea what, exactly, I was in for, I was a little worried that there would be some lurid sex scenes. I don’t mind reading them, but imagined that listening to them might make me squirm. I needn’t have worried. The only red flags were some profanity and a little sexual content (nothing detailed).

The narration by Isabel Keating was also performed admirably. Keating uses different tones for each character, ramping up and toning down the Southern accent as needed.

Hissy Fit was full of laugh out loud moments, wildly funny characters, and some self-discovery as well.

It certainly made my drive go by much more quickly.

Overall rating: 3.5/5. A great “test drive” for someone new to audiobooks, like me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hissy Fit.

11/10/2011