Tatiana's Reviews > On the Wings of Heroes

On the Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: historial-fiction, young-adult
Read from December 21 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

On the Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck was trying much too hard at the start, and as a result, had a decidedly To Kill a Mockingbird vibe, complete with adult themes recounted from a child’s perspective, the overwhelmed teacher, and upstanding father. It found its own voice eventually (and it’s a short YA novel), and became the story of young Davy Bowman, his family, friends, and all those on the homefront in his town for the duration as Davy’s brother, Bill, goes off to fight in the war, training to fly missions in a B-17 Flying Fortress, which is a cramped, heavy bomber aircraft, and I have personally walked through and explored one of them on several occasions.

The brightest point throughout was Scooter’s extensive knowledge of scrap metal, paper, and rubber equivalents to ammunition and plane parts. I also liked Miss Titus, just because. And the way Davy’s dad dealt with the demons of “his war” was well-done, as it was informed with Peck’s personal experience.

If nothing else, this is a good historical fiction selection for 5th-6th grade boys to learn what boys their age did during WWII.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Wings of Heroes.