Jennie Dopp's Reviews > The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

Nov 10, 2011

Okay... so this one was a mixed bag for me, but I still gave it four stars.

I thought there were parts that were hilarious and other parts made me wonder if she was stretching the truth a bit. I also didn't feel the author was being honest about her quest for a testimony of the gospel. I know living in NYC could probably make you jaded, but I wondered at times about her committment level to the church even though she clamied at one point she had a break through moment. In practically the next chapter she was making choices that reflected just the opposite.

Now... I'm not saying if you are Mormon you are perfect. Heaven knows non of us are and we ALL make or have made mistakes. So... that's where I give the author a break. I did like how she was open, honest, and accurately depicted LDS / Mormon doctrine. That was refreshing.

It is also interesting to read others take on the gospel and the way they choose to live it. I also gave it a high rating because of the hilarity. It isn't often when you get to laugh out loud while reading a book. But.... there were parts that were crass - I'm NOT going to lie. You were warned.

A friend of ours, who is also Mormon, has lived the single life in NYC. He really related with her experiences and descriptions of culture. I think it would be really tough to have such a small dating pool and options. It would probably make you feel more restricted than being the same age and living in an area with a larger population of Mormons.

What did you think of the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance.