Joy's Reviews > The Cats in the Doll Shop

1934818
Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, childrens, 2011-reads
Read from November 18 to 21, 2011

This is a lovely little book. Having not read the previous book set in the doll shop the characters were new to me, but I was immediately drawn into the Breittlemann's world. It's a wonderful glimpse into the life a Jewish family during the early twentieth century in New York.

As the book begins, the family is expecting their cousin Tania from Russia. She doesn't speak any English and is being sent to her extended family in New York for a chance at an education and a better life. At the same time, the three Breittlemann sisters discover a stray cat and her kittens. They would like to adopt the new feline family, but their Papa believes cats are only for the outdoors, not as pets.

When Tania finally arrives she is understandably sad and timid. Anna (the middle sister who is the same age as her cousin) is sympathetic and truly tries to make Tania feel at ease. She has a very tender heart and a generous nature, which leads her to be more forgiving and tolerant of her cousin’s unusual behavior than her older and younger sisters.

Anna makes a doll for Tania and Tania clings to this little treasure in a strange new world. But it's the stray ginger cat and her plucky kitten that reveals Tania’s gifts and brings all of the girls together.

I was lucky to receive this book through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much to the author for the chance to get acquainted with this delightful book. I plan to read the first book now too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cats in the Doll Shop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy I won this book from goodreads first reads.

message 2: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough Your post just made my day; really means a lot to me. Thank you!

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy You're welcome! It was a pleasure to read and review. I look forward to sharing your books with my daughter when she gets a little bigger.

message 4: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough If you would like me to send a bookmark I had made from the cover, I would gladly do it. Just let me know your address.

message 5: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Sending you a message. Thank you!

message 6: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough Got it! Sent your bookmarks today...Hope they arrive soon.

message 7: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy The bookmarks are lovely, Yona. Thank you. It's delightful to get a response to a book review and it means even more coming from the author.

message 8: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough I am so glad they reached you and that you like them. It is really lovely to make contact with readers and reach across the miles to share our mutual love of books and writing.