Sheli's Reviews > Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley

Last Train to Memphis by Peter Guralnick
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Train to Memphis.

message 1: by Ellie (new) - added it

Ellie M Ooh I might need to read this. Have become an Elvis fan of late...

Sheli It's a good read but quite hard going. There is a sequel too which I can't motivate myself to read! I've read quite a few Elvis books with facts in but can't remember what they are all called!

message 3: by Ellie (new) - added it

Ellie M We are (and yes this might make me sound like a right saddo!) going to see the Elvis 35th birthday celebrations. It's a show coming to Manchester (and other places) where they have Elvis projected on a screen singing and his original band live as the accompaniment. We went to see Viva Elvis in Vegas and thought "wow great music," bought the greatest hits album and havent' stopped listening to it.

Am interested in his life story since seeing the show in Vegas (it basically was his music and some people acting out his life story) so might have an explore. If you remember any other good books about him let me know :-)

Sheli Oh that sounds right up my street! I went to see a brilliant impersonator in Cardiff a few years ago called Lee Memphis King. He was really good and it wasn't cheesy at all. It was just him singing like Elvis, but not trying to talk like him if that makes sense.

I love everything about Elvis, I just find him so interesting, especially the way he lived at the time. It's all so glamorous. I like some of his films too. My favourite film is Viva Las Vegas.

I'll have a think about those books and do some googling to remind me and will let you know! I remember my favourites were more straight forward facts than long prose.