Jamie's Reviews > Love Amid The Ashes

Love Amid The Ashes by Mesu Andrews

Nov 10, 2011

Read from November 10 to 19, 2011

This book is one author's interpretation of the story of Job from the Bible. I love reading Bible stories made into fiction even though author's have to take poetic license. And that very fact makes me go back to my Bible and read the story for myself again to know what parts of the novel are fact, which is always a good practice too.

This story follows Dinah, daughter of Jacob (brother of Esau), who has been shamed her whole life because of a mistake she made as a young woman, and the misinterpretation that came from that. She finds her way into Job's home and life and witnesses all his suffering. The author does a fairly good job of portraying Job's suffering, although the loss of all his children didn't seem to be grieved as much as I thought would be. But his unswerving faithfulness to Yahweh is an incredible example for us today to follow, no matter what hardships come our way. The story, and the way this author writes it, reminds me that God's ways are better than mine, He always knows best, and yet He is okay with us questioning Him. He is a loving and caring God.

One thing I found a little hard to believe while reading, aside from the minimal grieving over lost children, was that Job's wife, named Sitis in this book, who was completely turned away from God and worshipped idols, seemed to transform completely into a woman entirely devoted to Him after one conversation with Dinah about God's forgiveness. And then I thought, why couldn't that happen? God can do miracles in people's hearts, and no doubt stuff like that has happened before. Why don't we expect miracles like that more often?

This book was an interesting read and made me think about God's forgiveness and His power to heal, physically and spiritually.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Amid The Ashes.