Wally's Reviews > The Collector Collector

The Collector Collector by Tibor Fischer

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: adult, brit, doorway-character, doorway-language, humor, postmodern, sex, stories
Read in November, 2011

Great read, very funny, with lots of great characters (memorable for their idiosyncracies, not for ethics, morality, or general wholesomeness), especially the narrator, who we quickly learn is an ancient, sentient Sumerian bowl. The story moves around Rosa and her sudden roommate, Nikki, as the two of them navigate their own friendship and relationships with people all over London. Fischer's play with language will bother readers looking for a conventional storyline, but he knows what he's doing, and he does it so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector Collector.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ju (new) - added it

Ju You tagged it "doorway

message 2: by Ju (new) - added it

Ju "doorway-character". I'm not familiar with that, what do you mean?

Wally Nancy Pearl says there are 4 doorways to stories - 4 ways people approach their reading. Character, plot, setting, and language are the doorways. I use this faceted system to help me remember what sorts of books would appeal to different readers. Easy, no?

message 4: by Della (new)

Della Scott Thanks. I have been wondering what this meant, now I know it's a Nancy Pearl thing. I kept seeing it in goodreads reviews and it was driving me crazy. I will have to think about it and decide if I want to use this system myself. For one thing, it's mainly for fiction, right? But thanks again.

Wally I think it could apply to narrative nonfiction as well, but yes, it's really geared towards fiction.