Kimberly Hicks's Reviews > The Fabulous Sylvester: The Legend, the Music, the Seventies in San Francisco

The Fabulous Sylvester by Joshua Gamson

Jan 08, 15

bookshelves: african-american-read, read-on-kindle
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
Recommended for: Biography Readers -- Viewer Discretion is Advised
Read from January 01 to 07, 2015 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I waited three years for the publisher to put this book on Kindle, and wouldn't you know it, they gave me an early present. FINALLY, I got to read about one of my favorite singers!

I miss Sylvester. I remember the first time I heard his live rendition of Patti LaBelle's You Are My Friend. He and the Two Tons o'Fun tore that song up and back. They sang the words off that song! Every time I hear it, I still get goosebumps. Sylvester was so ahead of his time and his early demise due to AIDS was just tragic. Everything you thought you knew about Sylvester, I can guarantee you one thing, you did not. After reading this book, I got a better sense of who Dooni a/k/a Sylvester really was.

From his early childhood, sexual abuse, and lost loves and a broke heart, Sylvester weathered the storm. What I loved about his family is that although they knew he was openly gay, they never strayed from him. If anything, Sylvester kept his lifestyle away from them. His grandmother was such a driving force behind making him who he was and accepting all his "strangeness". When people said he was different or strange, he'd respond, "that's ok!" And he's right!

I learned many things about him that I never knew and had a few surprises. I only wish I got to see him perform in person. I've seen all his videos and heard most of his music, but to experience a live "Sylvester" had to be the supreme ultimate. His falsetto was off the chain and he could belt out the vocals like nobody's business.

I really miss Sylvester. His contribution to R&B and the movement of the gay revolution was outstanding. He's still a shining star! If you love biographies, this is the one to read.

Side Note: Joshua did a great job detailing the 70s and disco and made you feel like you were a part of it. Well written! Also, the Kindle version did not have any pictures and I was little bummed about that. Not sure if the paper versions have pics or not?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fabulous Sylvester.

01/01 marked as: currently-reading