Raina's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, feminist, funny, gltbq, high-school, ya
Read from November 10, 2011 to January 03, 2012

Totally impressed by Libba Bray's reading. I could totally tell she's got a theatre background - I would not have guessed that the author was reading if I hadn't known that before starting.

Like others, I felt like the beginning was way stronger than the end. Getting to know each girl was more interesting to me than the action scenes and political parody.

I do take issue with the all-too-common lack of bisexuality. There is a fairly realistic lesbian romance, which is complicated by one character's questioning of her sexuality. At first, I was excited that Bray talks about that character's attraction to both genders, but the resolution (or lack of which) of the situation and (unless I completely missed it) blatant absence of the word "bisexual" just killed me. Also, I take issue that the main lesbian beauty queen sounds so butch. And yeah, acts so butch throughout the plot. Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the handling of queer issues here.

Anyway...
Towards the end things serious dragged. I ADORED Tiara (particularly her Disc Introductions), but never totally connected with anyone else. I feel like I'd be good friends with Bray, and I really like lots of things about this (yay for overt feminism in YA lit!) but I'm not sure I'll be revisiting her books unless she writes something at the middle school level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Samrat Awesome. I've been hoping you'd test drive this one for me. I'm worried it's going to be fake-feminist.

Raina LOL. Seriously. L. O. L.

Almost done - I'll let you know soon.

Sarah Going Bovine is completely different, and I would say, give that a try. I felt like her "Great and Terrible Beauty" trilogy was just ok, but it reminded me of a weaker "Ruby in the Smoke" (at least the first one)

message 4: by jess (new) - added it

jess butch lesbian beauty queen? ??? what is happening here?

also, i would like to request that you read modelland and compare/contrast the two. ok thanks.

Raina Notice that I said I was "almost done" on the first of December, and I didn't review it until January 4th. It really did take me that long to finish the end.

Raina Sarah, I would probably read Going Bovine if it fit my booktalking needs. But I think it would have to go on my "after i retire" or "when I can only read YA" stack. Sadly.

Raina Jess. Seriously. I know. There's one beauty queen who's already secretly a feminist trying to subvert the system (ok, maybe more than one), but our lesbo is not one of them. I really don't get it.

Modelland. We'll see. Pretty sure Sara Lachman's gonna read it, and she's a Top Model watcher so will have a better gauge on Tyra's point of view. I think I'm a little full on voluntarily objectified women (satire or not) for the moment, so it might take me a while to get to it. But I'm honored by the request. To be sure, you'll see my review if I do.

Sara Modelland has indeed been on my list. I've read excerpts of it and it makes me laugh hysterically from its awful ridiculousness on every page -- but it's SO LONG. I need a good vacation or something to get through it. Maybe once I get an eReader.

message 9: by jess (new) - added it

jess Sara, I'll be waiting..... !!!

message 10: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Nelson I think you'd probably like Going Bovine, if you ever get a chance to. Damn weird, that's for sure.

Raina Yeah, I'm intrigued by the premise of Bovine. Ok, it's on my to-read list. :)