Tiffany's Reviews > Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes

Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes by Maurice Leblanc

Jun 30, 2007

bookshelves: fun, mystery, quickread, to_get__bm_rqsts
Read in June, 2007

I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading the other Arsene Lupin book. The thing that this one has that the other didn't is that this is more of a cohesive unit: while each chapter still feels like its own short story (for the most part), put together, they make an overarching story. Still, it's just as fun as the short stories are. I love how smart Lupin is, and how he can outsmart even the brilliant detective, Herlock Sholmes.

Reading this has actually made me want to go back and give Sherlock Holmes stories another shot. Maurice Leblanc makes Herlock Sholmes seem like such an ass at times (especially to his assistant, Wilson), and Herlock gets outsmarted by Lupin so often (it wasn't until the final chapter that I felt like Herlock Sholmes was actually intelligent and holding his own against Lupin), that I wonder how this compares to Doyle's version of Holmes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes.

message 1: by Rory (new) - added it

Rory You can blatantly tell that Lupin was originally supposed to team up with Sherlock Holmes (All it took was a video game) but 'cause of copyright reasons well y'know.

But as a recent reader of the Sherlock Holmes stories, the portrayals of his character and the way that you have described Lupin to me (since I have not read him yet but feel the need to) I feel that they might often clash with their personalities, trying to outdo one another by finding clues of the mystery but eventually team up and try to solve it.