Ann aka Iftcan's Reviews > O Jerusalem

O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King

Nov 10, 11

bookshelves: adventure, cozy-mystery, english-setting, historical, mystery, series-book
Read in November, 2011

In this, the fifth book of the Holmes/Russell series, we go back in time to fill in a gap in the first book (The Beekeeper's Apprentice) with the adventures of Holmes and Russell in the Holy Land. Lots of derring do, disguises and wandering around, keeping in character. A fairly good yarn, even if the bad guy isn't discovered until late in the book. I certainly didn't figure out who he was until the denoument, at any rate, and normally I know "whodunit" by the middle of a book at the latest.

One thing that I am enjoying in this series is the fact that Ms. King really did her Holmes research. She has clearly read all the original stories, the stories published by Conan Doyle's son and more than a few of the "outside the canon" books too. Even to finding a copy of the wonderful (altho now out sadly out of print) Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street. She used his name in the previous book, and actually had one of the characters be an ancestor of William S. Baring-Gould. She knew the name of the first actor (hand selected by Conan Doyle in THIS reality) selected to play Holmes on stage, and there are other interesting little nuggets of gold like this scattered through her stories for us die hard Holmes worshippers to mine. :o)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O Jerusalem.