Sarah's Reviews > Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture

Textual Poachers by Henry Jenkins

F_50x66
Jun 09, 08

bookshelves: media
Recommended for: acafans, cultural/media studies folk, slashers, people who really like de Certeau
Read in June, 2008

I loved this book and am currently fangirling Henry Jenkins. Which is something I would like to discuss with him, because a) he wouldn't mock me and b) we could have an interesting conversation that engaged cultural studies without making me stabby. Also, I would like the Jenkinses to invite me over to watch Blakes7.

But, in all seriousness, Jenkins does an excellent job sussing out an ethnography of fan culture in a way that is both respectful and critical, that recognizes that it is playful, play with purpose, and a consumer tactic that is important to understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Textual Poachers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristin The fact that you are reading a Henry Jenkins book makes me adore you even more than I already do, Sarah. I mean SERIOUSLY!

message 2: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb I love that you are fangirling Henry Jenkins. I wrote a paper for a digital rhetoric class in grad school and relied on Convergence Culture very heavily for the work. I wish I'd been a better scholar and picked up this book at the time, but it's on my hold list now.